The Importance of SPF in Beauty Products
Sun Protection Factor (SPF) is the measure of how effective sunscreen is against the UVB rays. It also gives a big indication of how long you can be in the sun before getting burned. As you probably figured, the higher the SPF, the higher the protection meaning the longer you can stay out in the sun. Most people only think of SPF when choosing sunscreen, but it is also in many beauty products such as:
- Lip Balm
- Setting Spray
Sun damage is a real danger that has prompted many people to protect themselves daily from the sun. Applying sunscreen is an extra step to getting ready in the morning that may be forgotten or eliminated due to time constraints. The ability to apply protection and makeup at the same time is a win-win situation. Here are a few tips to ensure you are getting proper sun protection through your beauty products.
- Aim for products that contain a SPF rating of 15 or higher. The ideal rating is 30.
- Allow your moisturizer with broad spectrum SPF sunscreen to sink into your skin before applying makeup on top. This process gives your face and neck protection from the sun.
- Lip balm should always contain SPF. The lips have virtually no melanin which puts them at a higher risk of sun damage. Keep in mind that glossy, high-shine finishes attract the sun and increases risk of sunburn.
- If necessary, use an eye cream that contains a SPF of at least 15.
- Apply a foundation or tinted moisturizer with 15 or more SPF to provide a good shield from the sun.
- Setting spray or compressed powder help keep the sunscreen and moisturizer in place.
- To maintain your look throughout the day, keep your translucent powder handy as a means to reapply sunscreen. The powder will also keep the shine down.
Luscious Cosmetics recognizes the importance of protection from the sun. We offer a brightening base that contains a SPF rating of 35. The base serves as a moisturizer and primer in addition to sun protection. Grab yours today to compliment your look!